In this article, Dr. Dilip Mehta, a Leading Orthopedist in Jaipur, talks about “Ankle Arthroplasty and what to expect from the surgery?”
Dr. Dilip Mehta is an orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur who specializes in shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee surgery. He is considered one of the best in the country. He has more than 15 years of expertise and has dedicated his professional life to the advancement of hip joint surgery techniques, shoulder arthroscopy techniques, joint reconstruction techniques, and knee surgery techniques.
Ankle Arthroplasty is the medical term used to refer to ankle replacement surgery. Replacement of an ankle joint that has been affected by arthritis with a prosthesis that is comprised of plastic and metal is known as arthroplasty.
When your shinbone rests on top of a bone in your foot, it is known as the ankle joint. The ankle joint is located at the base of your foot. Ankle Replacement Surgery can assist to alleviate discomfort and swelling in the arthritic ankle joint while still preserving motion.
- Types of ankle arthritis are
- Posttraumatic arthritis
- Patients that require Ankle Replacement Surgery are classified as follows
- Ankle replacement surgery is not recommended for the following reasons
- Ankle Replacement Surgery Has Both Positive and Negative Consequences
- What to Expect from Ankle Replacement Surgery
Types of ankle arthritis are
This is a chronic inflammatory condition that develops in older persons as a result of “wear and tear”.
- It is a type of arthritis that affects the joints.
- This is an autoimmune disease that affects the entire body, not just the joints.
- Posttraumatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that occurs after a traumatic event.
- The result of a previous injury to your joint can be this condition says Dr. Dilip Mehta a top orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur.
Patients that require Ankle Replacement Surgery are classified as follows
Ankle replacement surgery is performed on individuals who suffer from severe arthritis in their ankles, which results in symptoms such as the following:
- Pain that is unbearable
- Joint stiffness makes walking or climbing stairs difficult.
- Joint discomfort during and after physical activity
- After sitting for an extended period of time, joints become stiff.
If the patient is experiencing one or more of these symptoms, he or she should meet with a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon, who will determine whether or not the patient requires surgery. As an alternative to surgery, the doctor may suggest less intrusive treatments that are tailored to the specific needs of the patient’s joint condition.
Dr. Dilip Mehta is also mentioned in some of the top sites like Practo, Clinicspots, Lybrate as one of the top Orthopedists in Jaipur.
Ankle replacement surgery is not recommended for the following reasons
- If you have an active or previous deep infection in the ankle joint, you should seek medical attention.
- There is insufficient bone to sustain the implants.
- Ankle neuromuscular illness is characterized by muscle weakness and dysfunction, which results in decreased ankle muscle tone and function.
- Patients suffering from a lack of sensation in their feet and ankles
- Ankle malformation that is severe
- Ankle fusion performed previously or insufficient quality of musculature.
Ankle Replacement Surgery Has Both Positive and Negative Consequences
- Pain relief for those suffering from acute discomfort
- Provides patients with improved ankle movement and mobility, allowing them to resume their typical activities.
- Ensure that the other joints in the area around the ankle do not become arthritic.
- Individuals can return to activities that are not in high demand, such as walking, biking, hiking, and swimming notes Dr. Dilip Mehta a premium orthopedic doctor in Jaipur.
Ankle replacement surgery is no different than any other type of surgery in that it includes some risks they are:
- Possibilities of contracting an infection
- Thrombosis is a type of blood clot.
- Injuries to the nerves
- The deterioration of the artificial components
- The prosthetic joint is becoming looser.
- An inability of bone to integrate into the joint.
What to Expect from Ankle Replacement Surgery
Jaipur-based Dr. Dilip Mehta opines that Additional imaging tests, such as X-rays, CT scans, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), may be required prior to the treatment.
It is important for patients to inform their doctors about all of the medications they are taking, including over-the-counter medications like aspirin. Include any recent changes in their overall health, such as a fever, in this information as well.
In order to have ankle replacement surgery, patients must be under general anesthesia with a regional nerve block and stay for 1-2 days in the hospital. The procedure is carried out through an incision that is approximately 15 cm (6 inches) long and runs over the front of the ankle joint.
Replacement of worn-out joint surfaces with a pair of metal pieces with a piece of hard plastic sandwiched between them that allows the joint to move freely is performed.
If the calf muscle or Achilles tendon is too tight, the surgeon may recommend that it be lengthened in order to increase the ankle’s range of movement. Screws may be used by the surgeon to support the new joint and ensure that it remains in the appropriate place.