Arguably the most popular card game (also often referred to as a table game) at land-based and online casinos worldwide is blackjack.
It’s easy to learn how to play, and once you have mastered basic blackjack strategy and learned when to hit, stand, split, or fold, you should be far more successful and hopefully win more hands.
Revealed on this page are some lesser-known blackjack strategies that are often overlooked. You can also find out which websites have a variety of world-class blackjack games to play in the free-play demo mode and real money mode, and you can find out which are today’s best online blackjack games.
Lesser-known strategies that can be used for when playing blackjack
The rules are the single most important thing to learn before playing blackjack for real money. The rules of blackjack are easy to learn, and then when you have got to grips with them, it would also be a good idea to learn basic blackjack strategy.
We can start by taking a quick look at ten relatively straightforward strategies for playing blackjack that are easy to implement and often overlooked.
- When playing online blackjack for the first time, look for standard blackjack games that are available to play in the free-play demo mode
- Don’t forget that card counting at online casinos is impossible, so even if you have card-counting abilities, it won’t help you when playing online
- Look for regular online casino blackjack games with above-average RTP% (Return to Player percentage) payout rates
- Only play online blackjack games from established/fully licensed online casino software providers/game development studios
- When you play blackjack games for real money, start by setting a budget and do not go over budget
- Look for low stakes tables to begin with (e.g., blackjack games where you can play from as little as $/€/£0.10, $/€/£0.20 or $/€/£0.50 per hand)
- Never chase your losses. If you feel as though you’ve hit a losing streak, simply close the game and either try playing another game or log out for the day
- Avoid trying to implement the more advanced blackjack strategies (e.g., the Martingale strategy, the 1-3-2-6 betting system, and the 2-1-1 Manhattan betting strategy) until you have completely mastered them
- If you want to take your online blackjack experience to the next level, try playing live dealer blackjack games for a more immersive/realistic experience
- Don’t get angry when playing. Try to control your emotions and remember to have fun whether you are playing from your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer
- Don’t think of playing blackjack as a job. Try to think of it as a fun pastime instead
If you can remember some of these useful blackjack strategies the next time you play at your favourite online casino, it can lead to a much safer and far more enjoyable experience.
Other things to remember are knowing when’s the right time to stop playing, never placing silly bets that are unlikely to win that hand, and avoiding placing optional side bets like Insurance, Perfect Pairs, and 21+3, although some of these bets can pay out up to 100:1 if you win.
Are there any casino review websites that go into more depth about winning at blackjack?
Yes. If you want to discover how to win at blackjack, one of the best sites we found was the official Johnslots.com website. One of the things we loved most about this trusted online casino information portal was the fact that it has a blackjack cheat sheet.
Until you get good at playing blackjack, remember to use the Johnslots blackjack cheat sheet as often as possible. No online casino in the world can stop you from using it when playing at their tables.
It tells you important things to do when you are dealt certain hands, such as when to stand, hit, split, and double-down, but also when to split if allowed to double afterwards (otherwise hit) or when to surrender if allowed (otherwise hit). It may sound a little confusing, but it should take too long to learn.
Not only does this website teach you everything there is to learn about blackjack, but it also has a list of more than 20 world-class online casinos and sports betting sites with over 50 blackjack games from some of the world’s top game development studios.
This website’s most highly recommended online casinos with today’s best blackjack games were carefully selected by a dedicated team of researchers and then expertly reviewed for you. In short, they rank among the best blackjack sites out there, and they include the following:
- Mr Rex Casino (2,000+ games, currently ranked at #1)
- HeySpin Casino (3,000+ games, ranked at #2)
- PlayOJO Casino (4,000+ games, ranked at #3)
- Amber Spins Casino (500+ games, ranked at #4)
- Playluck Casino (800+ games, ranked at #5)
- Slots Nplay (1,200+ games, ranked at #6)
- PokerStars Casino (2,000+ games, ranked at #7)
- STS Casino (1,400+ games, ranked at #8)
- Win British Casino (4,000+ games, ranked at #9)
- Slotzo Casino (700+ games, ranked at #10)
Other top sites recommended for playing blackjack that have also been reviewed on the same website are LeoVegas Casino, Royal Panda Casino, Amazon Slots Casino, and Incredible Spins Casino.
You also have Sky Vegas Casino, Video Slots Casino, Mr Q Casino, Party Casino, Les Ambassadeurs Casino, 888 Casino, and Target Slots, to name just a few top sites.
They are all fully licensed by one or more of the world’s mid to top-tier online gambling licensing authorities (e.g., the UK Gambling Commission, the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, or the Malta Gaming Authority), and they are all controlled by some of the most trusted names in the iGaming industry.
What are some of the most important terms and tricks I should learn before playing blackjack?
Some of the most important terms to learn in blackjack are the things like Hit (which means you want to take another card to try and improve your hand), Stand (you don’t want any more cards), and Split (two cards of the same value, for example, 2-2, can be split, so you know have to separate hands instead of one).
There’s also Double-Down (which instantly doubles your initial stake, takes an extra card, and then stands), Surrender (If you have a feeling you are going to lose the current hand, you can surrender half of your bet), and Insurance (which is only available if the dealer’s face-up card happens to be an Ace).
If you take insurance, the total amount that comes out of your bankroll is half the amount of your initial stake. With this bet, you are basically saying that you think the dealer is going to beat you with blackjack (21 points).
These are just some of the main terms you should really learn before playing blackjack. It would also be best if you also took the time to learn the basic moves the dealer must make in certain situations when playing blackjack.
For example, the dealer will automatically win the hand if you surrender or if you exceed 21 points (known as going ‘bust’). The dealer’s hand also wins if it’s closer to 21 points than your hand (or any other active player’s hand).
Also, don’t forget that in most blackjack games, the dealer must hit if they are showing a soft 17, stand on a hard 17, stand on 18 or more, and hit on 16 or less. Learn these simple rules, and you will be fine.
Other lesser-known tips and strategies that can help you be a more successful blackjack player (and hopefully win more money playing) are things like splitting aces and eights and standing when you believe you are holding a hand that could potentially go bust against the dealer’s card.
Also, try to find tables that offer the double-down gameplay option, and remember to double down when you have an ace against the dealer’s face-up 6. Have a clear strategy in place and if it’s working, stick with it, and remember never to chase your losses.
You may want to double down on a hard 11, never split a pair of 5s or 10s, and always remember to split 8s and aces. Finally, hit a hard 12 if the dealer is showing a 2 or 3.
What are the best blackjack games to play in 2023?
The best online blackjack games are the live dealer blackjack games from industry-award-winning online casino software providers, such as Playtech, Pragmatic Play, and Evolution Gaming (which are only available in the real money mode, meaning you must be at least 18 years old).
Playtech’s most popular live dealer blackjack games are Live Quantum Blackjack Plus, Mega Fire Blaze Blackjack Live, Majority Rules Speed Blackjack Live, and All Bets Blackjack Live.
Evolution Gaming’s best live blackjack games are Live Power Blackjack, Live Lightning Blackjack, and Live Infinite Free Bet Blackjack, and from Pragmatic Play, you have Live VIP Blackjack, Live ONE Blackjack, and Live Speed Blackjack.
If you want regular online casino blackjack games from the likes of Playtech, Games Global, Play’n GO, Red Tiger Gaming, and several other top providers, you may like to try Classic Blackjack from Red Tiger Gaming and Atlantic City Blackjack from Games Global/Microgaming.
Others include All Bets Blackjack, Cashback Blackjack and Frankie Dettori’s Magic Seven Blackjack from Playtech, and Premier Blackjack with Side Bets from Switch Studios and Games Global.